Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spelt Bread With A Mixed Bean/Lentil Soup

 
 
 
I guess I should be baking Cinnamon Buns today, maybe I´ll do it later. We were out of bread and convenient enough I really felt like baking! I decided to make Spelt Bread. I haven´t done that in a long time. Spelt is an ancient grain with many nutritious benefits. (As far as I know Cinnamon Buns only have emotional and social benefits J Still I´m the first in line to say that I love them!)
 
 
Spelt Bread


 



 
When it comes to taste I would choose spelt before wheat any time. It has a richer taste. Spelt is much higher in fiber, magnesium, Vitamin B, protein and complex carbohydrates than its distant relative wheat. Spelt is a boost for the immune system. Many people that are allergic to gluten tolerate spelt. (Spelt does contain gluten so be careful and consult your doctor before trying!) Spelt is rich in insoluble fiber which according to some recent study’s help women avoid getting gallstones and prevent breast cancer. As if boosting your immune system and delicious taste wasn´t enough! http://www.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-nutrition-and-wellness/volume-4-number-2/health-benefits-of-whole-grains-a-literature-review.html
 
 
You can use spelt instead of wheat in any recipe. Use a little less liquid than the recipe says or add a little more flour. Don´t mix the dough too much, no more than 3 min by hand (if you´re asking me. It´s not scientific, only my own opinion after experimenting.)
 
This is the bread I baked today:
 
Mix
3cups spelt flour
A little bit of salt, I used a garlic salt today but that´s optional
¾ OZ dry yeast (3 small packages)
Add
1½ cup water 115 degreese Fahrenheit
½ cup olive oil
A little bit of honey
 
Mix by hand 2-3 minutes.
Cover and let the dough rest for ten minutes.
Cut the dough into 12 pieces and place them on a baking sheet let it rest for 20 min.
Bake them in the middle of the oven 430degreese Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Enjoy your freshly baked bread with a nice warm soup.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Before I made the dough I started a mixed bean/lentil soup that was slowly boiling, taking care of itself while I was baking. (This was about the same time Hayley fell asleep next to the dishwasher. I admit..I started it half full just so that she would sleep. Little princess woke up without fever but got it back before noon. I feel so bad for her. I breastfeed her as much as she would eat. That and holding her when she needs soothing feels pretty much like all I can do right now. We´re going to the doctor tomorrow. I believe that when she´s stuffed with food some sleep helps her too.)  I love eating good soups during the cold season but I need a good bread to go with it! The soup I made today was from a mix of dried beans and lentils you can buy by weight on Whole Foods, I just added water, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano. When the bread was done so was the soup J This was our lunch today.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?