Friday, October 12, 2012

LIVING WILD; gardening, cooking and healing with native plants of the Sierra Nevada, by Alicia Funk and Karin Kaufman (Eng)

LIVING WILD; gardening, cooking and healing with native plants of the Sierra Nevada, Alicia Funk and Karin Kaufman.



I went to Auburn to do some errands today and decided to take some time to check out a local bookstore I wanted to check out for a while now.


I was happily surprised to see a high quality bookstore, in the sense that it had a lot of specialized books I didn´t expect to see. They had lots of not very common horse training books, both old and new. Also they had a nice selection of local history from Gold Country. I bought a few books there and one of them was a beautiful book about how to use everything that grows wild in this part of California, LIVING WILD; gardening, cooking and healing with native plants of the Sierra Nevada, by Alicia Funk and Karin Kaufman. It´s a rather new book, published last year. The book is beautiful with amazing pictures and an appealing layout. The recipes seem to be pretty easy to follow. Almost all the trees, flowers and plants are growing wild here at the ranch. There are many recipes I´m definitely going to try, such as Manzanita Cider, Wild granola, Gooseberry jam, Elderberry bread, Oak nut bread, Madrone berries with rice and veggies and many more. I´m very excited about trying these recipes. I love using what nature provides us with. I´ve been thinking about writing something like this myself but I don´t think I could have done it better than this. A practical approach to sustainability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?