Wednesday, August 22, 2012

For the love of horses

Hayley got this beautiful horse with the mail today.
He came all the way from Sweden. Thank You Helén <3
 
 
He found a perfect place in Hayley´s window where he can
 watch his horse friends on the outside :D
Hayley is by the way already 4 weeks old today.
Yesterday she had a doctors appointment
and we found out that she gained more
than 2 pounds since she was born.
She´s a big girl now!


 
 
 
My husband and I didn´t meet at a bar or a club, we met through our love for horses. Our first conversation was about how to manage riding the Pacific Crest Trail.
What kind of preparation would someone who wanted to do that need? What kind of horses would be suitable? How many horses would each rider need? What about food and equipment? We haven´t actually done that ride yet but we will, when our children are a little older.
It´s absolutely wonderful to share the same passions with the one you love. I couldn´t imagine anything more perfect!
I´ve been looking for an Icelandic Horse for a long time and Philip has been going with me looking at horses for the last year AND enjoyed it! When I finally found THE HORSE he was in another state. I found him when I was about  to give birth to our Baby Girl and we made arrangements to pick him up shortly after that. Unfortunately I had to get an emergency  C- Section. After that my loving husband didn´t want me to do the 15hour drive (one way) to get my horse. He offered to go by himself. Of course I was a little disappointed, I really wanted to go and pick up my horse myself but I did see(feel..)  the logic in him going..
Last week he went to Oregon to get my horse. My young Icelandic gelding trailered nicely and they were on their way, for about ten minutes …before the truck collapsed (the same truck that we got back from our mechanic last week). The former owner of the horse was kind enough to come and transfer the horse back to her ranch and help my husband to a hotel room. The truck is now at a mechanic in Oregon. My husband had to take a rental car home. Our trailer and my horse is also still in Oregon. There must be some higher meaning with all this, probably something really good is about to come out of it. I´m very curious to see what that might be!
I´m so grateful that my husband loves horses as much as I do or more otherwise I can imagine that this trip could of cause some hard feelings. Instead he is willing to do the trip again when the truck is ready. I just love him with all my heart!
When he was gone I finished reading the book I was reading “Have saddle, Will travel – Low impact trail riding and horse camping” by Don West. It was an interesting book. I enjoyed the stories from the author’s adventures, the pictures and the poems. I agree with many of his thoughts, it is very important to not leave any tracks when you´re enjoying our beautiful nature. A major part of the book was about what to bring and what to leave at home when you´re out in the wilderness. Maybe I would have left some of the things he brings on his trips at home. I wouldn´t bring all the painkillers he brings and maybe not even a tent. On the other hand I would bring a GPS, my IPhone, solar charger for batteries and maybe a GoPro on my helmet. It was worth reading and like the author said himself equipment gets more efficient and progress all the time and we should take advantage of changes to the better.
Like if he could read my mind, I needed some new reading material; my husband brought a bunch of my favorite horse magazines and three new books with him when he came home from Oregon.  
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?