Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Breaking free


I did my best to stay calm, friendly and to answer their questions without enthusiasm. I don´t want to be rude in any way. I know the answers to their questions. It was the same questions I was told to ask people as a child. My step dad, aka the meanest person I ever met, was a priest among them. (They don´t call it priests, but that´s what it is.) It´s not like I think all Jehovah´s Witnesses have serious drinking problems and beats their wife´s and children like he did. I´m sure the two ladies that came to my door today had only good intentions BUT it is a cult.

I spent many years of my life trying to break free from them. My “childhood friends” doesn´t talk to me anymore because I choose to not be a part of their cult. That´s all according to their rules. (Some other rules are: don´t celebrate any holidays, don´t have friends that aren´t Jehovah´s Witnesses, don´t take blood transfusions, don´t ask questions..) I knew that before I left them. I actually tried to leave as a teenager but missed my friends so much so I decided to “come back” for a little while and prepare myself mentally to leave them for good. I finally manage to do that after building a new network of friends outside the organization under several years. You have to be extremely strong mentally to leave an organization that continuously trying to control your mind.

I´m proud of the fact that I did manage to leave them. Many of my friends today don´t even know of this. Not because I´m ashamed of it. I moved on. I just don´t want to think or talk about all the years I lost. It brings out so many negative thoughts in my head. Days like today when they come knocking on my door I start thinking a little bit. I´m grateful for my freedom.

6 comments:

  1. Gunilla ZetterströmDecember 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM

    Freedom is the most beautiful thing, I´m so glad we both found it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for your bravery,God Bless and keep you all the days of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you hopped by my blog, CrochetHappy, because I am so thrilled to find yours! I'm a country girl living in the city/town and your blog "takes me back". Your wonderful pictures! This may sound a bit odd..but I love the smell of a horse! There is nothing like it. Thank you for taking me home again.

    TracyAnn of www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I´m really looking forward to get to know you better..and it´s not odd to love the smell of a horse! It´s exactly my language :) I love starting my day by cuddling my face into their soft furr. Best smell in the world!

      xo Maria

      Delete

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?