Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sustainable Living



Riding Boots, City Boots and Dress Boots

Making our lifestyle as sustainable as possible is very important to our family. There are many small, but important ingredients in a sustainable lifestyle. One of them have to do with the amount of things you buy, and what you do with them.
We're trying to think before we buy new things. Do we really need this? When we do need new things we prefer to buy quality that last a long time, rather than saving a few bucks and have to buy new things in a near future. I rarely go to sales. For me it's cheaper to buy just what I need, in good quality, at a full price. Rather than buying tons of low quality crap that will brake and need to be exchanged. 

I do not own a lot of stuff, clothes, books or anything. What I do have I really like. If I don't like it I give it to charity or sell it. 
I own four pair of boots. That's all the shoes I own. One pair for riding, one pair for every day life (like going to the grocery store), one pair that goes well to a nice evening dress and one pair for hiking. Later in the spring I will buy a pair of sandals, the last ones broke at the end of last season.
The hiking boots don't need any maintenance. The other three pairs need cleaning, some oil and water proofing. I really enjoy taking care of leather. It smells so good. I like the smooth feeling on my hands while working the oil into the leather. I love the result; shining, waterproof, good looking boots (or saddles, headstalls, reins, belts…)

It feels good to take care of my family's equipment. It feels good because I know that they appreciate it. It feels good because I know the equipment will last a long time, to the benefits of the environment and our family's economy. 

4 comments:

  1. Maria, I just absolutely love your outlook. I've been actively trying to downsize for my kids and myself and guiding our household towards living with more intent. It's so nice to have kindred spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback Heather! I agree, it's really empowering to meet kindred spirits! Looking forward to follow your journey :)

      Have a great weekend!

      ~Maria

      Delete
  2. The thought and care you put into your purchases, and maintaining your equipment is most rare and admirable. I am trying to incorporate these same practices in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I'm working on it too. It's a never ending process, but really worth thinking about.

      Have a great weekend :)

      ~Maria

      Delete

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?