Saturday, March 9, 2013

Inspiration For Writers

Trinity National Forest, a magical place. I'm dying to explore more of it from horseback.



Two weeks ago I walked in to a Barnes& Nobles in Sacramento buying Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bird-by-bird-anne-lamott/1018999644. The cashier, a girl with a very serious look on her face, went through a complete transformation when she saw the book in my hand. Her face started to shine, she smiled and started to talk fast about how much she loved that book. In fact how much she loved all Ann Lamott's books. She told me that she took a writing class, and that one of her class mates suggested that she read Bird by Bird. She took the advice and find herself reading all Anne's books within a few weeks. It was now one of her favorite authors. 

When my writing class Writing in the digital age, came towards the end, we decided to create a book club reading books that would help us in our writing. The first book we picked was Bird by Bird. We're going to read one chapter each week and discuss them on Fridays. It's only been two weeks yet. It certainly is very challenging to only read one chapter/week! The book is so good! Anne's writing is brilliant. She encourage me to work on the details. It's Saturday today and I thought that I should take a little sneak peak on next weeks chapter…of course I ended up reading the whole chapter. I'll have to start reading another book on the side to pace myself :)

Tomorrow I'll start reading Mark Rashid's newest book, Nature in Horsemanship - Discovering Harmony Through Principles of Aikido http://www.markrashid.com/forsale_books.php . Or maybe I'll start tonight..

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I found your blog on a blog hop, I am looking forward to reading your blog!

    Have a great day.
    Mrs. T @Myfrontporch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. T! Nice to meet you :)
      Looking forward to follow you back! I am currently rewriting my "about me page", so I checked out yours. I really liked it. Good job!

      You have a great day too :)

      ~ Maria

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Maria! Just got my copy so excited to start it. Will keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope you will like it as much as I do! :)

      Delete

I´d love to hear what you think about todays post. Did you relate to the topic?